This is good way to make pizza. I am trying to make as many vegetarian options as I can, not only to make it more nutritious, but also to save money. This is a really simple idea for a vegetarian pizza that’s surprisingly good. Before serving, I garnished with freshly chopped basil.
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup wheat flour
2 cups AP or bread flour
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 medium zucchini, sliced thin
2 medium roma tomatoes, sliced thin
1 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
3 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups mozzerella cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspon freshly cracked pepper
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Combine warm water and yeast. Mix well.
- 2Add kneading attachment to stand mixer. Add water and yeast, honey, olive oil and kosher salt to stand mixer bowl. Add flour and turn to medium. Mix until dough comes together. Continue to mix for 10 - 15 minutes. Dough should be pulling away from the bowl, but still be sticky. You may have to add a little more flour.
- 3When dough is done, add 1 teaspoon olive oil to a large bowl. Form pizza dough into a ball, and add to this bowl. Cover with saran wrap and place in a warm place.
- 4Let dough rise until it doubles in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down, and form into a ball again. Let dough rise again for 1 1/2 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- 5Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 6Preheat a small saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Saute until tender. Add tomato sauce, dried oregano, dried basil and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- 7Spread pizza dough onto a 16 inch pizza pan. Bake at 450 degrees until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- 8Remove pre-baked dough from oven and spread sauce on pizza dough. Add cheese, sliced zucchini and sliced roma tomatoes. Top with salt and pepper.
- 9Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- 10Serve topped with fresh chopped basil.