• 1 cup long grain white rice
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
• 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 1/2 cups water
• 8 oz. of tomato sauce
In a large skillet over medium heat, warm vegetable oil. Add onions and uncooked white rice to the heated oil and stir until the onions are tender. The rice should have a light brown color.
Add green pepper, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, water and tomato sauce to the rice and onions. Stir well while heating to boiling.
Reduce heat to low, cover with a tight fitting lid, and simmer until rice is tender. This should take approximately 30 minutes. Check it at 15 minutes to gauge cooking time.